- All of my reviews are my own honest, original thoughts
- I consider myself a gonzo journalist and will often write from a first-person perspective. My reviews are a whole lot more subjective than they are objective.
- I use the entire rating scale and my ratings are largely subjective. While I may spend more time discussing a game or film’s positives, more so than its negatives, that does not mean it deserves a rating over 5. I give it the rating I feel it deserves as a whole.
- All screenshots are my own, taken from the video file produced while recording the game. If not then they are screenshots provided by the developer/publisher.
- Any writeup published could possibly be altered as time goes on. Any alteration made will be explained in said writeup.
- Corrections are made to any writeup published if said writeup needs it. For example, if something is stated about a game that is incorrect.
- I avoid allowing game developers or publishers to influence my reviews/first impressions.
- Spoilers will always be avoided. Always.
- As of March 17th, 2014, I no longer factor a game’s price into my review of said game. I made this change because my view on game pricing is very skewed when compared to the majority view. I rarely think any game is worth more than $10.
ACTUAL Game Reviews
- My goal with actual game reviews is to provide reviews that have not been influenced by developers, publishers, etc.
- I also make use of the ENTIRE rating scale. No more 7/10 being “average”, 5/10 should be average. 9/10 should be rare and given only to ACTUALLY good games. This is the same scale I have been applying to my anime ratings for years.
- These reviews are usually written in a pro/con format, listing some outstanding pros and cons that I feel should be mentioned. I will not go into every aspect of the game, just the ones that I feel should be discussed.
- A video review may accompany this type of review, usually an edited version of the written review (score included at the end of the video as well) lasting about five minutes.
- If a video review is made and needs changing, changes will be made to the written version of the review and mentioned in the video review’s description.
- I usually will beat the game prior to doing this type of review, but may review it earlier if I believe I have experienced enough of it (especially for longer games).
- “First impressions”-type posts are usually used when looking at early access games, but may also be used for released games (usually those with longer length).
- Either a “Cub Plays” video would be created to accompany this type of post or a full-length series.
- A bit shorter than a normal review. Gives an overview of the game without assigning a score to it.
- Could possibly become a full-length review later on.
I use a standard 1-10 scale, with half-points allowed. It looks something like this:
I also have a special rating I made for H-games that I end up reviewing because I feel they do not belong on the regular scale. That is this rating:
The Old Scale
I use my own scale dubbed the “K-o-Meter”.
Normal Reviews Either a “Cub Plays” video would be created to accompany this type of post or a full-length series. Review scores are not discussed with either the developer or publisher prior to the publication of said review
Review in haiku A “Cub Plays” video will be created for said game, or an entire series featuring the game A haiku will be written and placed onto a cool image from the game A score will be assigned to the game, along with a short list of pros and cons Review scores are not discussed with either the developer or publisher prior to the publication of said review
2018-01-27: Added bit on why my ratings may not reflect the content of the review.
2018-01-25: Added bit on gonzo journalism and expanded on why I do not factor price into my reviews. Also added explanation of the rating I assign to H-games.
2017-11-01: Added information about the pro/con format of my ACTUAL game reviews.
2017-10-05: Added info about how I review longer games (under both review and first impressions sections).
2017-10-04: Removed old “normal review” section and replaced it with the newer “ACTUAL review” section.
2017-09-22: Updated the scale, the “K-O-Meter” is now the old scale.
2017-09-05: Updated the “first impressions” section to reflect how I intend to cover early access titles. Changed the “game reviews” section to accurately reflect how I intend to cover most games. Also changed the ordering of the sections on the page.
2017-08-11: Add tidbit about using screenshots from dev/pub. Modified 1-10 scores on the K-o-Meter