Now that the 90th Academy Awards are over, I will now tally up my predictions to see how well I did.
- Best Picture: The Shape of Water
Happy to see my favorite of the nominees actually win. The movie was just that good.
- Best Director: Guillermo del Toro (The Shape of Water)
- Best Actor: Gary Oldman (Darkest Hour)
Oldman was the greatest thing about Darkest Hour, so this award was totally expected.
- Best Actress: Frances McDormand (Three Billboards)
Even though the other nominees were good, McDormand knocked it out of the park with Three Billboards.
- Best Adapted Screenplay: Call Me by Your Name
Even though I did not like the movie that much, I can appreciate the work done here.
- Best Animated Feature Film: Coco
What can I say, it is basically the Pixar award. Was totally expected.
- Best Documentary (Feature): Icarus
- Best Original Song: “Remember Me” from Coco
- Best Sound Editing: Dunkirk
- Best Cinematography: Blade Runner 2049
- Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Darkest Hour
- Best Supporting Actor: Woody Harrelson (Three Billboards) [Actual Winner: Sam Rockwell (Three Billboards)]
Hey at least I got the movie right, that should count for half!
- Best Supporting Actress: Lesley Manville (Phantom Thread) [Actual Winner: Allison Janney (I, Tonya)]
This was a complete guess on my part, maybe I should have watched I, Tonya first!
- Best Original Screenplay: The Shape of Water [Actual Winner: Get Out]
Not even mad with this one, I loved both movies. Get Out was a wonderfully written movie.
- Best Foreign Language Film: Loveless [Actual Winner: A Fantastic Woman]
Another category I completely guessed in, as I had not seen any of the nominations. Now I should definitely give them a watch.
- Best Documentary (Short Subject): Knife Skills [Actual Winner: Heaven Is a Traffic Jam on the 405]
- Best Live Action Short Film: Watu Wote/All of Us [Actual Winner: The Silent Child]
- Best Animated Short Film: Lou [Actual Winner: Dear Basketball]
We live in a time where Kobe Bryant has more Oscars than Christopher Nolan. What a time to be alive.
- Best Original Score: Phantom Thread [Actual Winner: The Shape of Water]
This was a bit upsetting, as I thought Phantom Thread’s score was miles better than The Shape of Water, but I do like both scores, so I cannot be too mad.
- Best Sound Mixing: Star Wars: The Last Jedi [Actual Winner: Dunkirk]
Who knew that Dunkirk would take both sound categories! I should have known better.
- Best Production Design: Dunkirk [Actual Winner: The Shape of Water]
- Best Costume Design: Beauty and the Beast [Actual Winner: Phantom Thread]
I have no idea why I did not pick Phantom Thread for this category. Maybe I just saw Beauty and the Best and did not look further, but I would have definitely picked Phantom Thread if I had paid more attention to this category.
- Best Film Editing: The Shape of Water [Actual Winner: Dunkirk]
- Best Visual Effects: War for the Planet of the Apes [Actual Winner: Blade Runner 2049]
I got a total of 11 out of the 24 categories correct, roughly 45.8%. Good enough for a first try I think! Will do again next year, but this time I will most likely have seen even more of the nominees due to this handy Moviepass subscription I now have.