This is the first time I will actually try to predict the winners for this year’s Oscars. I will also give my opinion on the category if I have something worthwhile to say. After the awards, I will make an attempt to tally my score and see how correct I was.
- Best Picture: The Shape of Water
I have seen every movie nominated here, but The Shape of Water was easily the best of the bunch. Guillermo del Toro has done an excellent job with this movie and I hope he is rewarded for it. Even so, if Lady Bird or Three Billboards were to win here, I would still be satisfied. There were quite a few good nominations this year.
- Best Director: Guillermo del Toro (The Shape of Water)
Compared to the other nominees, I would actually be surprised if he did not win this year. He definitely deserves it.
- Best Actor: Gary Oldman (Darkest Hour)
Oldman is perhaps the only reason why Darkest Hour is receiving such recognition this year. In my review, I described how he carried the movie with his performance.
- Best Actress: Frances McDormand (Three Billboards)
This one is a bit of a toss-up. On one hand, Sally Hawkins (for The Shape of Water) definitely has a chance, but I personally think that Frances did an outstanding job with her role in Three Billboards.
- Best Supporting Actor: Woody Harrelson (Three Billboards)
- Best Supporting Actress: Lesley Manville (Phantom Thread)
- Best Original Screenplay: The Shape of Water
- Best Adapted Screenplay: Call Me by Your Name
- Best Animated Feature Film: Coco
This category hurts me. The fact that A Silent Voice and In This Corner of the World did not even receive a nomination is criminal. A Silent Voice is easily the best animated film to come out in years. I have not seen Coco, but I fully expect it to win, being a Pixar film and all.
- Best Foreign Language Film: Loveless
This is a complete guess and I have not seen any of the nominations (although I definitely should). I have heard so many good things about Loveless though.
- Best Documentary (Feature): Icarus
- Best Documentary (Short Subject): Knife Skills
- Best Live Action Short Film: Watu Wote/All of Us
- Best Animated Short Film: Lou
- Best Original Score: Phantom Thread
I have listened to all of the scores nominated and Phantom Thread is just so much better than any of the other nominees. The soundtrack was easily the best part of the movie, as I mentioned in my review.
- Best Original Song: “Remember Me” from Coco
- Best Sound Editing: Dunkirk
I fully expect Dunkirk to win this one. It has some of the best sound editing of any recent film. The sound is such a core component of the film that I would be surprised if it lost here.
- Best Sound Mixing: Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Best Production Design: Dunkirk
- Best Cinematography: Blade Runner 2049
- Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Darkest Hour
- Best Costume Design: Beauty and the Beast
- Best Film Editing: The Shape of Water
- Best Visual Effects: War for the Planet of the Apes
EDIT: 2018-03-04 6:34pm – Changed cinematography prediction (from Dunkirk) and removed bit about not having seen The Post (which I have now seen).