With a new anime season coming up, I thought it would be cool to write down my pre-season expectations and the score I expect to give them by the end. I will then compare these scores with what I actually gave them at the end of the season. I will be watching every anime I list below, assuming it gets subbed. I am using LiveChart as a reference.
- 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season. I liked the first season, and I expect this one to be more of the same. 7/10.
- Anime-Gataris. Honestly have no idea what this one is going to be about. It looks like some generic school comedy, but the synopsis says otherwise. Really do not know what to expect from this one. 6/10.
- Black Clover. I expect this one to be a longer-running one, maybe two or four cour. I always thought of this series as Naruto’s replacement in Weekly Shounen Jump, so I just expect a regular battle shounen. 5/10.
- Blend S. Seems like a fun little 4-koma adaptation. Synopsis does not reveal too much, but I expect to like this one. 6/10.
- Boku no Kanojo ga Majimesugiru Sho-bitch na Ken. The English translation for this title is “My Girlfriend is a Faithful Virgin Bitch”. Now, from that title, I can say that I expect an ecchi romcom, but it appears to lack the ecchi tag on MAL. Actually looking forward to this one simply to see why it is named as such. 6/10.
- Cardfight!! Vanguard G Z. More of the same, the last few seasons are actually getting worse. 3/10.
- ClassicaLoid 2nd Season. I did not really like the first season and I do not expect to like this one either. 3/10.
- Code:Realize: Sousei no Himegimi. I could always go for a shoujo adventure series. This one appears to be just that. 7/10.
- Dia Horizon. This looks incredibly similar to the Granblue Fantasy anime that aired earlier this year. The art looks so good, but if I learned anything from Granblue Fantasy, it is that I should not expect much. 5/10.
- Dies Irae. I wanted to read the VN before I watched this, but it looks like I will just have to read that sometime in the future. Actually looking forward to this, the VN is rated high on VNDB after all. 7/10.
- Dynamic Chord. Please save me from all of these male-idol anime coming out. This one does not look any different. If anything, the PV makes it look terrible. 2/10.
- Evil or Live. Do not think this one is going to get subbed, but the art has my interest. 6/10.
- Garo: Vanishing Line. Was surprised when this was announced to be the new Garo TV series. I thought the previous two were average, but this one is set in a completely different time period and actually looks like a lot of fun. 7/10.
- Gintama: Porori-hen. More of the same from Gintama, very hit-or-miss for me. 5/10.
- Himouto! Umaru-chan R. I would be lying if I said I did not like the first season, hopefully the second season measures up. 7/10.
- Hoozuki no Reitetsu 2nd Season. Basically Gintama if it were set in hell. The first season was average and I expect the second to be so as well. 5/10.
- Houseki no Kuni. This series looks really cool, even with the CG. I would even say this is one of my more anticipated titles for this upcoming season. Have heard good things about the manga as well. 7/10.
- Imouto sae Ireba Ii. A story about a “young siscon novelist”. Looks like a complete rip of Eromanga-sensei, in fact it could probably be mistaken for a spin-off of that very series. Looks decent enough though! 6/10.
- Infini-T Force. One of my most-anticipated show of the season. I have been watching the original series that the characters for Infini-T Force are sourced from (Gatchaman, Tekkaman, Polymar, and Casshan) and am really looking forward to see how they come together Avengers-style. 7/10.
- Inuyashiki. High expectations for this one. I loved the author’s previous work, Gantz, and the synopsis for this one sounds great. 8/10.
- Itsu Datte Bokura no Koi 10 Centi Datta. The HoneyWorks movies that precede this series are good and I really enjoy HoneyWorks music, so I expect to like this one as well. Although six episodes does seem a bit short! 7/10.
- Just Because! Despite the completely vague synopsis, I have really high hopes for this series. I love school drama series and this one reminds me a lot of Tsukigakirei, another series that I adore. The art looks fantastic as well. 8/10.
- Juuni Taisen. This looks so much like a Fate/ series that it is almost criminal. Cannot say I am not looking forward to it though. 6/10.
- Kekkai Sensen & Beyond. I recently rewatched the original to refresh my memory, but I still cannot come to like this series. Not expecting too much from the sequel. 5/10.
- Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World – The Animated Series. I just watched the original Kino’s Journey series and thought it was decent. Excited to see what a modern adaptation can do. 6/10.
- Konohana Kitan. Looks a lot like Urara Meirochou, from a couple seasons back. Expecting a generic “cute girls doing cute things” show, but I am not complaining. 6/10.
- Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau. The PV for this show makes it look so good, I really have high hopes for this one, especially since it has the “mystery” tag. Please be as good as the PV makes you out to be! 8/10.
- Love Kome: We Love Rice 2nd Season. Why was this even funded. The first season was bad enough. 2/10.
- Love Live! Sunshine!! 2nd Season. I liked the first season, I just hope for more memorable music. I can barely remember any of the music from the first season, but I can remember most of the music from the original Love Live! 8/10.
- Mahoutsukai no Yome. If the OVA’s are any indication, then this will be a good one. Two-cour as well! 7/10.
- Netojuu no Susume. The synopsis makes this sound super generic, but I have always had a soft spot for anime set in videogames. 6/10.
- Omiai Aite wa Oshiego, Tsuyoki na, Mondaiji. This show appears to be following the recent “hentai on TV” trend established by the bald priest-dude anime a couple seasons back. I expect it to be heavily censored for TV broadcast just like Mr. Bald Priest-Dude. 4/10.
- Oretacha Youkai Ningen. A modern remake of a series from the 60’s. I do like classic anime, I just hope that this one gets picked up for simulcast. 6/10.
- Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte kara. Looks to be another food/drink-based comedy. Never really been a huge fan of that style of show. 5/10.
- Osomatsu-san 2nd Season. I need more Jyushimatsu in my life. 8/10.
- Ousama Game The Animation. This anime looks brutal. I love the killing-game setting (big fan of the Danganronpa series) and the PV makes this anime look like it will be just that. 7/10.
- RoboMasters the Animated Series. This show is actually based on a real robotics competition. It reminds me Atom: the Beginning, which I did enjoy. 6/10.
- Saredo Tsumibito wa Ryuu to Odoru. Expecting a super generic action-fantasy out of this one. The art and synopsis both support this expectation anyways. 3/10.
- Sengoku Night Blood. The art looks good, but it just looks like your average historical otome anime. 3/10.
- Shiyan Pin Jiating. I am always prepared for another monster girls anime. 6/10.
- Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara. First two seasons were good, expecting more of the same here. 7/10.
- Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou. Honestly expecting this one to be my anime of the season. The art, PV, and just the overall aesthetic makes it look outstanding. 9/10.
- THE IDOLM@STER CINDERELLA GIRLS Theater 2nd Season. The first season was not too good, maybe the second may improve on that? 4/10.
- Taishou Chicchai-san. This is based on a boys love game. I have learned that you cannot really expect too much from these adaptations. 4/10.
- The iDOLM@STER Side M. Was super excited to see another iDOLM@STER anime that was not just some shorts, but was really disappointed to see the “Side M” part of the title. The music for Side M is mediocre at best and I expect the anime to be the same. 4/10.
- Time Bokan: Gyakushuu no San-Okunin. When I finished Time Bokan 24, I did not think it was all that great, but I feel that I should give it a second chance before the sequel comes out. 5/10.
- TsukiPro The Animation. I did not like the Tsukiuta anime and this appears to be more of the same. 3/10.
- Two Car. An interesting synopsis and looks like a lot of fun. Higher than average expectations for this one. 7/10.
- UQ Holder! Mahou Sensei Negima! 2. I am about 70% done with the original Negima manga and it has been painful thus far. I really hope that the manga picks up, or that this sequel is just better somehow, but as it stands right now I do not have high hopes. 4/10.
- Urahara. This looks like a mash-up of Punch Line and Akiba’s Trip for some reason. Not expecting too much though. 5/10.
- Wake Up, Girls! Shin Shou. I loved the original Wake Up, Girls! so I have high hopes for this sequel. The art style may have changed drastically, but maybe that is for the better? 7/10.
- Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru: Yuusha no Shou. The original series was good and I am very interested to see if the various fan theories are proven correct by this sequel. 7/10.
- 2/10 – 2
- 3/10 – 5
- 4/10 – 5
- 5/10 – 8
- 6/10 – 12
- 7/10 – 14
- 8/10 – 5
- 9/10 – 1
Looks like a decent season overall. Seems that this season will consist of plenty “decent to good” shows and not a whole lot of “outstanding” shows. Maybe that will change when the season is over, we will just have to wait.